In its mission to foster Argentine Tango, The Tango Society of Minnesota administers the email message service “Tsom-announce.” The service delivers timely information about tango events to its subscribers. Anyone can subscribe. For questions about Tsom-announce, see FAQ below. To subscribe, click here.
TO SEND AN ANNOUNCEMENT
In order to post to Tsom-announce, you must be a subscriber to the list AND a member of TSoM. To post your message, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed instructions to set up your subscription and begin posting to the service are listed below.
ADD TSOM TO YOUR ADDRESS BOOK
It is recommended that you “whitelist” Tsom-announce by adding it to your mail server address book. However, you may need to take additional steps in your server’s spam filter if your messages from Tsom-announce keep getting sent to the Junk folder (it’s been reported that Yahoo is especially strict). Try setting up the filter such that any message from a sender that includes “Tsom-announce” in the address be allowed to pass. (Typically, Tsom-announce messages are from “[Sender’s Name] via Tsom-announce”.)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Subscribing to Tsom-announce requires your name, email address, and a password.
- Sign up for Tsom-announce (you will be taken to a remote site). Fill out the form as instructed.
- An e-mail will be sent to you requesting confirmation. You must follow the instructions on the e-mail before you can start receiving announcements or bulletins. This is a hidden list, which means that the members list is available only to the list administrator.
- “Whitelist” Tsom-announce in your address book (add email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org).
HOW TO POST AN ANNOUNCEMENT
As long as you subscribe to the list and are a TSoM member, you can post announcements about your events or other tango-related news. Your message must be approved by the list moderator (to prevent SPAM). It will only be sent out to list subscribers if it concerns a Tango event in Minnesota. If not, the list moderator may request that you alter the content. To post your announcement . . .
- Send your message to email@example.com. Put the subject of your message in the subject line just as you would like it to be viewed by the subscribers (do not address the administrator). Put in the body of your message the information just as you would like it to be displayed to the readers (do not address the administrator). Leave the BCC (blind copy) address box blank.
- You will receive an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” acknowledging your post request was received by the moderator.
- Announcements are released between 8-10 p.m. each night by the moderator.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR MESSAGE POSTERS
Q. What kind of messages can I send?
A. In respect for our subscribers, TSoM Announce messages must be about, or in support of, Argentine Tango events (classes, workshops, performances, theater, etc.) in Minnesota. Use TSoM’s Facebook page to post other tango information that might be of interest to members.
Q. How can I tell my message has been received?
A. You will receive an acknowledgement email. Please whitelist Tsom-announce as described above. Check your spam filter when you first suspect messages are not being delivered. The receipt of messages is governed by the receiver’s email server.
Q. When will my message go out?
A. Currently, messages are reviewed and released between 8-10pm Sunday-Thursday. Friday-Saturday may be slightly delayed (we dance too!). So, allow a day or two for your announcement to show up in subscribers inbox.
Q. How can I tell if my message went out?
A. On most days you should receive a copy of your submission by 10pm or overnight. You can also check “announce messages” blog, or sign into the Tsom-announce archives; the archive contains all the TSoM message history.
Q. I receive Tsom-announce messages, but don’t receive my own message. Why?
A. Some have reported that they receive Tsom-announce messages yet do not receive their own. This is likely controlled by your email server and your spam settings. For instance, it’s been reported that Gmail likes to put them in a “promotions folder”.
Q. Who do I contact if I have problems sending or receiving Tsom-announce messages?
A. Email the webmaster: email@example.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Q. What is Tsom-announce?
A. Tsom-announce is a list-serve that will deliver emails about Tango Events in Minnesota to your email inbox.
Q. Do I have to be a TSoM Member?
A. No, you do not have to be a member to receive Tsom-announce messages.
Q. How many message will I receive?
A. Typically there are 3-4 messages a week. Some weeks there are more.
Q. How do I sign up?
A. See our signup page.
Q. How many people get these messages?
A. There are close to 400 subscribers to Tsom-announce.